Genetics PhD candidate vacancy
Synaeda Psycho Medisch Centrum is an outpatient mental health institute for specialized psychiatric treatment. Within Synaeda, a new research project is being set up that aims to gain more insight into the effects of prescribing antidepressant medication guided by genetic markers (biomarkers). This genetics informed treatment of depression is in line with recent developments within the field of personalized medicine.
This research will be conducted in collaboration with Research Institute Brainclinics in Nijmegen. Brainclinics is specialized in applied research with a focus on personalized medicine in depression and ADHD.
We offer a PhD studentship for an ambitious candidate with a passion for the analysis of genetic data and application of genetics in a new setting. You will be responsible for coordinating and conducting the study, and collaborating on scientific publications.
As a PhD candidate, you will be the center point for all matters concerning the study. You can make use of an existing biobank (iSPOT trial) where you will work together with supervisors to perform retrospective analyses. In addition, we intend to add a practical component to the program: a prospective study in which genetic markers will be examined for their usefulness in an outpatient setting. You will be working with mainly medical specialists such as psychiatrists. You have strong communication skills, are empathic and meticulous, and have good interpersonal skills. You have good writing skills. Furthermore, you are flexible in your working hours. The standard work site is in Nijmegen, with regular working days in Drachten (approximately weekly).
- A completed scientific education in medicine, psychology, (cognitive) neuroscience, bioinformatics, mathematics or econometrics (master level)
- Scientific interest and ambition to obtain a PhD on this subject
- Affinity with psychiatric care
- Possession of a driver’s license
- Cooperative and communicative in English, willing to learn basic Dutch
- Computer savvy (Windows) and experience with data analysis software such as Excel and SPSS
- Experience or affinity with coding/scripting (R, Python for example)
- A professional, small-scale and pleasant working environment
- Supervision by dr. J. Luykx (UMC Utrecht) and dr. M. Arns (Brainclinics)
- Various training/course opportunities as and when needed
- A contract for 32 hours (with a possibility to extend to 36-40 hours), conform de cao GGZ (collective agreement for mental health care)
- The possibility to obtain a PhD at Maastricht University, to be evaluated after 6-12 months
If you are interested and you fit the above description, please send a motivated letter and CV with photo to Nikita van der Vinne (senior researcher and GZ-psychologist in training; email@example.com). Only applications that meet the requirements and are received by email will be considered.
The closing date is December 1th, 2021.